December 20, 2016 by Courtney
I decided to go ahead and shop for two weeks since we will be out of town when I normally grocery shop… I don’t think grocery shopping on the way home would be a good plan (we are going to my in-laws’ at Glorieta, NM).
This is how I plan for grocery shopping:
First, I meal plan based on what we have on hand. The post with the next two weeks’ plan is here: Meal Planning Sunday, December 18th.
Then, I make a grocery list for the week (or two in this case… I ended up adding to this after I took a picture).
From now on, grocery shopping will be done every Monday. This time around we won’t be home Monday, which is why I shopped for two weeks. After today’s shopping trip, I have decided to ONLY shop at HEB from now on. I usually some items at HEB and the rest at Walmart because I didn’t know any better; but I decided that I didn’t want to go to two places today, so I only shopped at HEB. I was very pleasantly surprised at their prices and selection! I am sold! Many, many of their prices are cheaper than Walmart… and the quality is SO much better!
First, I went to Chick Fil A and got my favorite nuggets and fries. I should have taken my lunch, but I felt like eating CFA today. I don’t normally eat out when I go to town for AA and grocery shopping, but I had some Christmas money and decided to treat myself :-).
Then, I went to my Women’s AA.
It was ccooolllldddd (for Texas, that is).
Then I got gas at HEB (cheapest gas in town at $1.93 per gallon) and did my grocery shopping. My goal was $200 for 2 weeks (with $50 left for those few things that we will need between now and next pay day). I spent $199, and that included a $10 gingerbread house :-). I was happy with my purchases because I bought mostly whole foods (and a few easy snacks for the road).
When I got home and laid everything out, my table was FULL. My husband laughed at me…
Here is what I bought!
- 3lbs ground chuck
- 2 1/2 pound chuck shoulder roast
- 1 large whole chicken (5.84lbs)
- 3lbs bone-in pork chops
- 1 package of Oscar Meyer uncured hot dogs
- 3 packages Hormel natural (uncured) lunch meat: salami, cracked pepper turkey, applewood smoked ham
(We already have chicken thighs, a pound of ground beef, and 2 packages of Hormel lunch meat).
- HEB roasted garlic hummus
- 2 containers of Julio’s salsa
- 1lb HEB medium cheddar
- 10oz HEB sliced gouda (for our trip)
- Duke’s mayo
- Kelley’s raw honey
- Pyure (for my coffee)
- HEB Cafe Ole’ Taste of San Antonio (regular and water-processed decaf)
- HEB Kettle Cooked variety pack (for our trip)
- Tortilla chips
- 2 bags of veggie straws (one regular and one ranch)
- 2, 12 packs of La Croix
- HEB Organics whole grain animal cookies
- HEB Organics Cheddar Frogeez
- 100% whole wheat hamburger buns
- 100% whole wheat hot dog buns
- 2 loaves of 100% whole wheat bread
- 20ct Aguilar flour tortillas (these taste homemade!)
- 2 dozen Farmhouse Eggs (we had just under 2 dozen eggs still)
- 5lb bag of organic carrots
- Bunch of bananas
- 4 broccoli crowns
- 3 colored bell peppers
- Large bag (1lb) of chopped kale (to freeze for smoothies)
- 4 pears
- 3 zucchinis
- 2 yellow squash
- 2 acorn squash
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 3lb bag of gala apples
- 1 bag of brussel sprouts
- 1 container of leaf lettuce (locally and hydroponically grown)
- 1 package sweet tomatoes
- Lime juice
(We still have some apples, oranges, cut up celery, a cucumber, some tomatoes, avocados, quite a few russet potatoes, 3 sweet potatoes, several onions, and a little bit of cut up carrots and broccoli.)
- My beloved Coke Zero
- A Gingerbread house kit for the kids and their cousins while we’re in New Mexico
We will have to buy some food when we get to my in-laws, but we aren’t counting that in our grocery budget (we’ll be splitting everything among in-laws). We’re just counting that as traveling expense (because otherwise we would be eating out).
I also bought some Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes mix with an Amazon Gift card (that I won’t count because it was as a gift). Haha. This should last a long time. I cannot wait to make Banana Chocolate Chip Power Cakes! I found out about this stuff in my HHHM group. I ordered it right away with the gift card, then I found it at HEB today when I was there! Next time I’ll just buy it at HEB!
I feel like, overall, I did well! I am picky about a few brands of things (aren’t we all), but I try to stick with HEB brand and non-organic (mostly) because it is cheapest. The only things I bought organically were because they were close to the same price, or because that was the only way they sold the product (like the pre-packaged “frogeez” and animal cookies).
Check back for my next Grocery Geek post! Next up, Working the Program.