January 3, 2017 by Courtney
Well. I ended up doing some more grocery shopping.
I was worried about what I spent today, then I came home and crunched the numbers. It all evens out :-).
Yesterday I got a few things that I knew we needed while we were at Walmart (I switched a meal from this week with a meal next week so I can use some produce that I already have). The kids were shopping using their Christmas money.
- 2 boxes whole wheat pasta
- 1 bag whole wheat egg noodles (for chicken noodle soup that we had yesterday)
- Newman’s Own pasta sauce (I usually make my own, but this is actually cheaper!)
- Ivory body wash
- Neutrogena face wash
- Candle (this was misc)
Then today I decided to get everything for next week except the produce. I will buy the produce Wednesday or Thursday. Next week I won’t need to buy anything until Friday!
- 4.5lbs ground chuck (I split it into 4 bags when I got home… it was super cheap this way)
- 3lb chuck shoulder roast
- 2lbs pacific whiting filets
- 3lbs Bone in pork chops
- 2 boxes Pop Tarts (this is a treat)
- 2 boxes family size Triscuits (one original and one cracked black pepper and olive oil)
- 11oz bag of Unmomento breakfast blend coffee
- 11oz bag of Unmomento decaf coffee (these are half the price of the HEB coffees that I have been buying!)
- Nature’s Seasons (we use this on almost everything)
- Coarse sea salt
- Quart size freezer bags
- Gallon size freezer bags
- LOTS of toilet paper (Charmin basic… had a coupon for it)
- 14pk of Goodnights
- 2 dozen eggs
- 1 gallon whole milk (to make homemade yogurt)
- Natural bliss coffee creamer
- 16oz roasted red pepper hummus
This leaves us with $34.30 to buy produce for next week (I won’t spend that… all I’ll need is a few broccoli crowns, a few avocados, cabbage, and a few tomatoes). Whatever is leftover will be moved to my savings account.
I had to get Levi HEB brand Zaditor and Zyrtec because the cedar has been killing his allergies! This came out of our health and wellness budget. There won’t be anything left in this budget once I pay for my $180 doctor appointment and $30 for prescriptions next week.
I’m kind of excited because it looks like I’m going to come in under budget for gas! I added up how much I will be spending this week and next week and it’s less than what I have budgeted for. Whatever is leftover between gas and groceries will be moved over to my savings account. Every little bit counts.
I think I can do this. It’s tough because I always end up spending more than I planned… but I guess budgeting takes some time to get used to.
I bought produce today (and 2 sneaky bags of popcorn that they were selling 2 for $1.79 at the register…). It was $25 for all of it (that big bag of carrots was only $3!). And I am done shopping for this pay period!
Also, I was able to stretch dinners for most of the month of January between what I have on hand and dinners in the dining hall!
All I will need to buy later this month:
- Half and Half or creamer
- Milk (for drinking and making yogurt)
- Cheddar cheese
- Lunch meat
- Cottage cheese
- Sodas (ha!)
- Whole chicken
- Maybe a few other things…