A regular meal around here is homemade pasta sauce on whole wheat pasta with roasted veggies on the side. It is really simple and cheap! Here is how I make it!
For the pasta sauce:
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder (or use minced garlic… sometimes I do this)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 box of whole wheat pasta (pictured here is penne, but I used rotini for the final picture)
- 1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash (not pictured)
- 2 broccoli crowns and 1 head of cauliflower (not pictured)
First, cube zucchini and squash. Sauté in a little bit of olive oil with some salt and pepper.
While the squash is sautéing, brown the beef.
Drain meat, return to pan. Dump all of the remaining ingredients into the pan. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Cut broccoli and cauliflower.
Toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, and some garlic powder.
Spread on pan and bake on 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
While this is roasting, cook your pasta.
Serve and enjoy!