February 4, 2018 by Courtney
Wow. This week has been transformative for my body, soul, and mind. I had no idea what I needed, and I had no idea that my body could lead me there.
Last Sunday I wrote about how I’ve been struggling, then I ended the post with things that I was thankful for. I felt a huge weight lift after that post.
My family went on to go to town, play at the park, and have lunch at an amazing restaurant. It was good for our family to spend a day together. It has been a long time. So, that was #1 of what I needed.
We didn’t end up cleaning out the kids’ rooms that day because we ran out of time, so I decided to do it during the week.
Not only did I completely clean their rooms out (they were BAD y’all), I also made myself a new, quiet, relaxing, peaceful space. The kids had a craft room that they didn’t use often and when they did, they left it a disaster! It was also SO bad. So, I turned it into my own room!
Our house just needed a lot of TLC. I have let it go a lot over the past few years… trying to keep up but letting a lot of things slide.
For most people it wouldn’t be a big deal. But for me it affects my mental health greatly. Instead of getting up and moving, I would sleep all day because I couldn’t handle it. I felt like it was impossible to do any cleaning because the back up mess was so bad (if that makes sense). Then I would feel so guilty because I knew I shouldn’t be sleeping all day but I couldn’t stop. I was physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually exhausted.
So, I made a point to purge, clean, and organize the whole house this past week.
Monday I cleaned out Karis’ room. It took like 10 hours at least. It was so bad. Trash was everywhere. I threw away 2 huge black trash bags and a kitchen bag away full of stuff. I also put 2 tubs of things away in the attic and gave a lot of stuff away. It is night and day different and she’s sleeping so much better. She said that it’s so nice to not be tripping over stuff. I also made her a checklist to help her keep up with it (she asked for one and I also made one for the boys).
Tuesday I worked on my new office/hobby space/reading/workout (eventually) room. I also worked on it a bit today (adding some things on the walls and bringing our chair in from the living room). I am IN LOVE with my new space. It is just what I’ve envisioned.
Wednesday I worked on the boys’ room. They had a black trash bag of trash and I put away a tub of stuffed animals, etc. I organized their little trinkets and things and they are just in love with their room.
Thursday I cleaned the house. Our bedroom, bathrooms, dusting, floors, etc.
Friday I had jury duty and I was selected to be on the Grand Jury! Luckily we only meet two more times because our county is sooooo small. Lol! When I got home I took a short nap, then I picked up the kids from the bus. That evening I worked on our written routines, rules, consequences, rewards, and kids’ checklists. The kids are thrilled for these. They need this structure.
Yesterday I worked on my office/work out/reading/hobby/etc room (I need a name for it). I washed sheets and towels. I did more cleaning.
Here’s a fresh update to our pantry foods:
So right now, my house is pretty spotless and organized.
The beautiful thing… I am starting to wake up early because I’m falling asleep by about 10:00! And I sleep ALL night. I don’t wake up at all.
Okay… now onto what I’ve been learning!
- My relationship with Christ has grown by leaps and bounds this week. I can’t explain it except that the Holy Spirit has drawn me in. It wasn’t anything I did. I have missed spending time with Him for a long time, and I have had a lot of bitterness and doubt. I have struggled with trust and faith. I have also allowed other peoples’ beliefs, bitterness, etc affect me. I have decided to unfollow some people.
- I am capable of so much more than I have been telling myself I’m capable of. So much can happen because of thoughts, in positive and negative ways. My counselor in Frisco reminded me of that every time we met. She had me do exercises at home that reinforced that.
I worked for 8-10 hours most of the week. My body was sore but my spirit was stronger for it.
- My house needs to be clean and organized for my mental health. Not so that people will tell me how amazing I am. I have learned that I just cannot function if my house is a disaster. I also cannot function with clutter, period. I am working, still, on decluttering. My counselor reminded me the other day that “environment matters,” and I am a believer in this!
- I need to sit at my desk to blog. It’s my “work space.” I cannot think to blog at the kitchen table anymore. I get so distracted by everything around me. Also my mind is more clear because my house is more organized. So crazy how physical clutter causes clutter in my mind.
- I need structure and routine, and so do my kids. They asked for the checklists. The boys’ behavior has improved dramatically.
- Ethan got in big trouble at school on Tuesday. I didn’t freak out about it. I decided in that moment that I need to be more firm with him. I have been wavering because I have worried about his mental health, but I have determined that wavering is not good for him. He needs to know what’s expected and that there are consequences when he doesn’t follow those expectations. He was grounded from all electronics and friends for a week and that truly affected him. He knows that next time it will be longer and we can always add more consequences. He is going to counseling today to work on his anger management. That’s his biggest issue.
…Life is hard, but God is good!