Because I’m on a super strict elimination diet for the time being, I’m having to make so much from scratch. We are home most of the time the next few weeks, which is so great. We all love being home! … Continue reading
I have an easy granola recipe that I have used for many years. This year I decided to make it into a pumpkin spice granola, and I’m in love. It is amazing. It’s also pretty easy! Into a large casserole … Continue reading
Tuesday afternoon I decided that I wanted to make something pumpkin and healthy for dessert (healthy enough that it would be good for breakfast also!). I searched for dairy free pumpkin spice breakfast cookies and found a few recipes but … Continue reading
I have been looking for recipes for a while and haven’t found any that I loved. So I decided to make my own. I bought a can of sweetened condensed coconut milk and decided to try it out! These are … Continue reading
Meal planning didn’t go as great this time around. I had a bad week last week so I kind of just threw some things in my cart and decided that I would figure some meals out with what I ordered … Continue reading
This past week has been pretty crazy. For various reasons, I didn’t actually follow much of my meal plan (this is RARE). Also, our friend left us with four pounds of thawed ground venison that will need to be used … Continue reading
I have been trying to shop and plan for one week at a time, but with holidays, camping, having a friend here, and the fact that I won’t be going to Kerrville for almost two weeks, I decided to get … Continue reading
We have learned to love homemade pizza because it’s so yummy and easy! I use a pizza crust recipe that is mostly made in the my bread machine. This is what makes it easy. I use my bread machine often. … Continue reading
Like I said in my post yesterday, I have a lot of food, and I’m trying to find something new to cook! I also have two instant pots and try to make most things in there.
As usual, my breakfasts, lunches, and snacks are in a list to choose from. My dinners are specific for the day.
- IP breakfast casserole
- Smoothies (Cashew milk, Greek yogurt, frozen banana, frozen spinach, and peanut butter) and toast 🍞 with homemade bread (and maybe some boiled eggs)
- Eggs and toast 🍞 or tortilla
- Egg (fried) on English muffin
- Homemade Greek yogurt and homemade granola
- Oatmeal, egg, and fruit
- Sandwich 🥪 , veggies 🥕, and crackers
- Boiled egg 🥚, salami or summer sausage, veggies 🥦 and hummus, and Triscuits
- Soup 🥣
- Monday- Baked potatoes 🥔 and IP cheesy broccoli 🥦 soup 🥣
- Tuesday- Instant pot Chicken 🐓, rice 🍚, and broccoli 🥦
- Wednesday- IP shredded Mexican roast soft tacos 🌮 (with venison roast)
- Thursday- IP homemade Mac n cheese 🧀 and veggies
- Friday and Saturday- Dining hall (here at camp)
- Sunday- IP Sloppy “does” 🦌 and fries 🍟
- Triple Zero Greek yogurt
- Peanut butter crackers
- Clif bars
- Granola bars
- Veggies and hummus
- Apples or bananas and peanut butter
- Pretzels and cookie butter
Next week, most lunches and dinners will be in the dining hall. Can’t wait! It saves us so much money and time, and it is a great way to get to know the staff
Prep for meals
- Veggie tray
- Move frozen meat to the fridge
- Make breakfast casserole
- Thaw steel cut oats
- Bake bread (only because we love it!)
I buy pre-cut veggies when I can and already boiled/peeled boiled eggs. I know it costs a little more and it’s worth it at this point. I may go back to prepping these things eventually. I’m also probably going to reduce the amount that I make Greek yogurt. It hasn’t been turning out!!
My Plan for the week
- Monday- Robert and I will go to town to pick up the love seat and maybe have a lunch date. We are making dinner for my mentee.
- Tuesday- I’m reading to Levi’s class, AA, lunch, library time, then a birthday party for a little one here that’s turning one.
- Wednesday- Bible study at noon (at my house), and I might have a friend over for coffee.
- Thursday- Day at home, then AA at 7:00pm
- Friday- Rest day, and I might have a friend over for coffee.
- Saturday- Family day
- Sunday- Church, lunch with the pastor, counseling, maybe the park
As you can see, Monday and Tuesday are my only busy days this week! That’s much different from last week!
Also, daily chores will happen and my schedule chores will happen.
I hope you have a great week! What are your plans for the week and for meals?
There is some misunderstanding about what carnitas are, so for this purpose, the carnitas I’m talking about are shredded pork tacos.
I honestly don’t ever measure how much seasoning I use so I’m going to do my best to give some measurements, but you can always add more or take away based on your taste. I know that I rarely follow a recipe as is :-).
We make these often when we have people over because it is so easy to make a larger batch. I have two instant pots: an 8qt and a 6qt. Typically I make the carnitas in one and beans in another.
I am lucky in that our store (HEB) has carnitas already cut up and easy to use. I am able to easily layer this way. You could use a pork roast just as easily, though, you can’t really layer with that.
These are the seasonings that I use.
- 4lbs of pork roast (or carnita meat)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 bell peppers, diced (I usually use red, yellow, and/or orange)
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded and diced very fine
- About 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 orange, cut into fourths
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (we use dark red)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
Basically, I just layer them in the instant pot. One layer of meat, one layer of seasoning, one layer of veggies, then repeat. I top it by squeezing the orange over it and leaving the oranges in.
I then set it on high pressure for 55 minutes.
I usually let it natural pressure release for 10 minutes or so.
After it is finished, we shred it and eat!
My favorite tortillas are some that I buy from our local store. They are basically homemade. I also love the type that are a mixture of corn and flour.
Robert makes his “famous” guacamole and we also top them with cheese, sour cream, and maybe some more cilantro.