I have been in a Facebook group called Healthy Habits Happy Moms since about November of 2016. It is an amazing group. They encourage choosing one habit at a time to work on. They encourage self love and self care. They are anti-diet. They teach about fat phobia, health at every size, joyful movement, and more. They are a science based group, which I have appreciated because for so long I have been swayed by the many bloggers out there that post about “the right way.” I share about my sobriety and I get so much encouragement from the ladies there. More than my friends and family in “real life.” I get hundreds of “likes” and comments. It’s amazing.
They are really picky about who they let into the group because they are totally anti-multi level marketing schemes (Beachbody, Plexus, etc). They also protect the group and moderate it very closely, which can turn some people off. I find it helpful. The group has like 28,000 people in it and it is VERY active!
They have a program called Balance 365 that I have wanted to do for a long time but I couldn’t afford it. I was amazed one day when I got a message from one of the founders saying that someone wanted to sponsor me to do the program! And they wanted to do it anonymously! I felt so loved. Also, they paid for it all at once ($365!!) so I got all of the exercise programs also!
The thing about the program that is different from others is that you can have a “fat loss goal,” but you work on that very slowly by transforming your habits one at a time. But they also encourage you to be okay with maybe not losing fat because that may be where your body wants to be. They just don’t shame you for wanting to lose (like some body positive activists).
The thing that they focus on is the fact that everyone can have different goals… mine are:
- Reduce cholesterol without meds (I’m already on so many meds + my doctor doesn’t want me on them if at all possible)
- Get to where I can hike in the mountains more (again)
- Feel good and healthy
- Be content with who I am (even if I don’t lose any weight)
- Reduce anxiety (if possible)
Also, some of the foundational habits that you start with are sleep, self care, self love, meal planning, and meal prepping. So there’s that.
Habits that I already have down pretty good:
- Meal planning
- Meal prepping
- Veggies and fruits at most meals
- Pretty good with sleep (getting 6-8 hours per night, but sometimes I wake up super early and fall back asleep)
- Oh, and I work on staying sober every day 🙂
The habits that I am working on right now:
- Self love and self care (I have been working on this for a while, but I have been struggling with bad anxiety, and I tend to still be down on myself because of weight gain so I will keep focusing on this)
The habits that I will work on:
- Movement (starting with one day of hiking and building up to 3-4 days of exercise per week)
- Eating 3-4 meals per day (I’m at 2 right now and I struggle a lot of low blood sugar because I don’t eat breakfast)
- Reducing sugar (mostly in my coffee)
- Reducing Coke Zero (I am moving towards more sparkling water!)
- Having adequate protein at every meal
- Eating moderate (adequate but not too much) fat at each meal
- Eating when I’m truly hungry and eating enough but not too much
I just LOVE the program! I’m in it for LIFE! I’m so thankful that someone was generous and sponsored me!